Monday 22 June 2015

Loco for local





Dress: Uniqlo | Shoes: Linea Lidia by Luciano Padovan (Similar here) | Necklace: Modcloth | Ring: Gift from Wens (Similar here) | Sunglasses: Pieces

I wouldn't exactly call myself a music buff since I grew up in the era when Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls were all the rage. I was and always will be a teenybopper. However, when it comes to local Singaporean music, I've been a strong supporter and I can proudly claim that I'm pretty sure I know when I hear something good.

Cheating Sons is a local band comprised of 5 core members and their recently launched self-titled second album has been on my playlist on repeat. Their music is a mix of rock, indie, country, folk, blues...I don't know because I'm not some music buff and genres are stupid but they meld all sorts of influences neatly into an album of tracks that are mostly upbeat and great to jump around to while also being ripe with emotions and filled with raw intensity should you feel like sitting down and being emo instead. My favourite track from the album is 'Honeymoon' which is actually not as romantic as the title might lead you to believe.

The English local music scene here has been dominated by a some familiar favourites like The Sam Willows, The Great Spy Experiment, and Electrico, to name a few. Cheating Sons, while having been in the scene for a while, has always seemed a little more underground but I think their sound is a welcome addition to the Singaporean music landscape and so I hope they make it big. Their experimental nature brings in unexpected sounds courtesy of violins, banjos, saxophones and trumpets (and other instruments) and this makes for such a unique listening experience.

I really urge you to check them out. If you think this is just some crappy paid review, you'd be mistaken because come on, musicians don't make any money in Singapore. You can follow Cheating Sons on their Facebook page to get regular updates on gigs and you can also purchase their albums on their websites.

Thanks for reading!

Oh! One more thing! Also, please please please for the love of all things good and beautiful, check out Charlie Lim's music. The boo was playing it yesterday on Spotify and I'm basically in love now. His music is SO good. 

1 comment:

Talk to me!