Wednesday 4 May 2016

Geys and Goons







Top: Gap (Similar here) | Skirt ASOS (it was previously a dress, similar here) | Bag: Banana Republic (Similar here
Shoes: ASOS (Similar here) | Sunglasses: ASOS (Similar here) | Ring: Vintage (Similar here

A random thought first...

Does drinking cream of broccoli soup count as eating my veggies?

I am literally having some of it now and it is delicious. I've been really bored of food lately and I wish I could just eat a pill that would give me all the necessary nutrients I need, give me a sense of satisfaction and satiation, and also not make me a pudgy blob monster. Scientists, get on it already!

Something I am not totally bored of yet though.. Salted egg yolk coated deep fried chicken. OMG that shizz is the bomb. Now you're probably thinking, "ooh sounds good, where can I get some of that?" and I can tell you....

GEYLANG CLAYPOTRICE!!! 
Stolen from their Facebook page because I forgot to take photos.
Disclaimer first: this is my friend's business so I am biased but if it wasn't good I wouldn't bother posting about it. So it is good, trust me, I'm a very greedy human* being.

The original Geylang Claypot Rice restaurant is located in, no surprises here, Geylang (GASP SHOCK), but due to the fact that my friend and his business partner are enterprising young men with rice on the brain and in the stomach, they've opened a second outlet at Serangoon Gardens to cater to all the goonies. I assume that's what they call themselves. Totally true fact: the people from Geylang called themselves "Geylords". Maybe.

Also stolen, because I'm a thief
I've heard from my friend that the Serangoon outlet's claypot rice has a boneless chicken version which is great because I used to absolutely loathe eating claypot rice only to be biting into shards of chicken bone. It's up there on the charts of worst things ever, like just behind 'leaving dog poop on the side walk' and 'writing Game of Thrones spoilers on Facebook'. 

Obviously while their claypot rice is their signature dish, I, being not that into claypot rice (scarred from the bones yo), prefer their other dishes including the salted egg yolk chicken, the seafood beehoon (I avoid the seafood since I'm allergic but I go to town on those noodles), and the Qinglong vegetables. So now this soup I'm drinking is kinda not cutting it anymore. Where's that food pill when you need it?? 

Salted egg yolk *drools*
I'm pretty sure this is basically a cholesterol and calorie bomb but I LOVE SALTED EGG YOLK FRIED CHICKEN. I need to find a way to marry it. It's so good!! It also comes in a squid version but meh I'm all for chicken. When I was a kid, my mom told me all meat was chicken so I'd eat it because I really loved chicken.

Rrraaawwwrrr
Apparently Qinglong's literal translation is 'Green Dragon' and now with Game of Thrones back on the air, who isn't all about dragons? So topical. Anyway, this vegetable dish is awesome. I had never tried it before and I was more than pleasantly surprised. I'm no food blogger so I'm not going to try and pretend I know food by using words like 'palate cleansing' and 'refreshing with a twist' or 'bow chica wow wow' (I also don't read food blogs), but I just want to say that I like this dish and highly recommend it.
Shrimp + cereal = dinner and breakfast rolled into one
Ok so I'll be honest, I don't eat shellfish so I could only eat the cereal but from the way my friends inhaled this, I think it's good? The cereal was really yummy so yes, we also finished all the cereal.

Deep fried soft shell crab + eggs
I think this is the boo's favourite, he said the eggs are yums max. I can only sigh and feel a deep longing for this crab that would only give me the feeling of a midget squeezing and weakly punching my throat if I were to eat it.

Bonjour
I'm so bad at describing food, I keep thinking about writing "I like this a lot" and "yum". I'm not very original and my vocabulary isn't really great. Anyway, french beans - supercalifragilisticexpealidocious. Take that for a description yo.

So anyway, not shown here: an onion omelette and a xiao bai cai vegetable dish because I was really greedy and I kept forgetting to take the photos until we had all started eating. Some of the photos I took were just plates with remnants of food. It's kind of gross.

Anyway, Geylang Claypot is a great place for large gatherings as a pot of rice can go a long way so it's quite economical. Although of course when you order the more expensive seafood dishes, it can be more pricey. I think it's got pretty standard zi char prices. The food comes in small and medium sizing so you can always mix and match to suit your group size. 

The restaurant in Serangoon is fully air-conditioned which is important because it's so freaking hot in Singapore. And I heard that they've just got their liquor license so that means PARTY CENTRAL! Gather all your friends and head down to Geylang Claypot Rice restaurant Tuesdays to Sundays for lunch or dinner or maybe even just to hang out. 

To see the Geys, go to: 639 Geylang Road
But if you feel like visiting the Goons: 4 Maju Avenue 

Thanks for reading!

 
* Technically while I claim I'm human, I've never really had it proven. How do we know we aren't all just aliens walking around and when we die we actually go onto our next alien form. I will probably be a Trump supporter cos you know those people are truly aliens. Anyway, how do we go about proving one's humanity? This has given me an awesome idea for the Humanity Games, kind of like the Hunger Games but with more food. Yup. Back to food again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!