Thursday 3 September 2015

Lash out






Top: Romwe | Skirt: Sheinside | Shoes: New Look (Similar here) | Bag: FCUK (Similar here)
Ring and earrings: V&A (Similar here and here) | Sunglasses: Far East Plaza (Similar here)
 
My beautiful cousin Nom has the most enviable lashes. They're long, thick and curl up making his already decently larger eyes look even larger. I am SO JEALOUS.


He'd probably fly back to Singapore to kick my butt if I posted the full photo so I cropped it but you can clearly see those glorious lashes (sans mascara but helped by eyeliner).

In order to make my slitty eyes look larger, sometimes I'll bust out the falsies. The results are inconsistent at best, because I am really crap at applying them on myself. But after several attempts, many failed, I think I've learned a thing or two so I might as well share it to help the rest of the eyelash-challenged individuals.

The tools

Because I such at it, I have to use tools to apply falsies. I got this plastic lash... errrr... Let's call it a 'kiaper' from Starlash. It's quite easy to use but one of my gripes is that it is a bit too curved. My lash line isn't so oval shaped when I close my eyes so I kind of have to apply my lashes in sections rather than just place it on in one swift move.

I use the metal thing, actually also a kiaper, but I use the bit with the pink silicon to press down on the lash. You can also do this with your fingers but I just don't because I'm used to using extra tools. I suppose I just like to make my life more difficult and spend more money than necessary. 

The falsies

I first got the Diamond lash one and I thought I wanted something natural so I got a brown shade. This was a disaster because it actually looks really unnatural against my black lashes. I like that it's not too long so I don't need to go through the extra step of cutting it but that's about it.

I haven't tried any other brands because I got a recommendation from Nic who basically knows everything about makeup and beauty products. She recommended these hand made ones from Taiwan and so far so good, they have SO many types (different lengths, different fullness, criss-cross, straight, lined, unlined, etc). I buy mine from People's Park, I think it's about $6 a box. Because I'm not very terribly adventurous, I got the really basic not too long or fluffy kind so they look really natural but I don't know, if I want drama for evening I probably have to double them up which means 4 times of potential disaster.

The glue
I've been on the hunt for the perfect glue because I'm already such a mess. Glue near the eye is... Not fun.

Duo
I started my falsies journey with Duo but I find that because of the squeezy bottle style, I can't control the amount of glue that comes out and sometimes it'll be a huge glob of glue and that's wasteful and messy. The glue dries clear so that's not too shabby but I don't feel like the lashes stay put for very long. I'd rate it a 6/10. 


Starlash
I got this in white (which dries clear) first and I liked it, the applicator wand style means I can control the amount of glue that goes on the lash. I then bought the black since I thought I could handle it. This was a mistake because I am not 100% able to stick the lashes great the first time round so this leaves black stains all around my eye which is a pain to clean off. This is my fault, rather than the glue's, so I'm not judging it based on that. Just a word of warning I guess. The thing I don't like about this glue is that when you remove the lashes, some of the glue ultimately remains along the lash line. Which makes you end up looking like you're got eye-poop. I guess this means the glue sticks really well but it's such a mess to clean up and I end up having to mad scrub my lids and pick at them. I give this a 7/10 rating.


Shiseido 
Nic bought this for me from Japan and I really really really liked it the first time I used it (partly due to the fact that I was able to apply the lashes well the first time round that day). The squeezy bottle thing still means that I can't totally control the amount of glue that comes out every single time. Maybe I'm just defective. However, this glue has great sticking power. I wore it for several hours and my lashes didn't budge at all. One bad thing is that it doesn't dry clear so if you apply too much glue, you'll have white globs around your lash line. But for all it's stickiness, when I remove it, it doesn't leave any glue behind. I would rate this 7/10.

So that brings me to the end of the sharing session. I hope you learned a lot. Please do let me know if you've got better stuff to introduce to me! I'm always happy to get recommendations.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!