Wednesday 13 July 2016

France Day Six: Six in French is 'Six'!!

Bonjour! I've just returned from a vacation in France and now for the travel diary because my memory is terrible so I need to recap it all. This was a family vacation to catch the Euro Cup courtesy of my aunt and uncle, without them, this trip wouldn't have happened.

France Day Six
Six is the day when the mice go out to play! The rest of the family planned for a wine-tasting lunch that would have surely been lost on me since I have a palate of a 6 year old, so Boo, Nommie and I went to Toulouse for the day instead. Having been just the day before, we figured we were pros at navigating the fourth largest city in France. However, much to our dismay, some of the main roads to get into the city centre were closed due to a strike! We went around and around! ARGH!

WE WANT STUFF!
WE STILL WANT STUFF
Po po in the back like 'Nah you can't have stuff, we have guns'

After we finally made it close to our destination, we drifted around and chanced upon a seemingly hipster gastro-pub of sorts  - Le Bistrot. The three of us ordered the same Le Bistrot burger since it's the name of the place so we figured it would be tops. It wasn't like a regular burger as we expected (by now, I had already come to terms with the fact that I probably would never really be able to know exactly what style my food would be in), it was kind of like a mince meat with hash brown as the bun, served with a side of mega delicious fries. LOVE. Potato heaven baby.



It's pretty hipster served on a slab right?

Having craved crepes since the day I landed in France, I finally got that crepe fix at a place La Creperie that was highly rated on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, the place smelled like pee and honestly, the crepe, while quite luxuriously coated in dark chocolate, wasn't exactly mind-blowing. Trip Advisor, you've failed me.

Thankfully you can't smell the pee
Goooey goodness

To burn off those calories, I engaged in some of my favourite exercise - shopping! I ran around Toulouse trying on as much as I could because I'm a maniac. The guys went off on their own and were totally unsuccessful at buying anything.

When we met up again, they suggested watching Warcraft in 3D at a cinema they had stumbled upon while trying to escape the rain. Guess what? Warcraft is so BAD but it was pretty fun all the same.

This cinema is from the future yo
 



Although I was still pretty stuffed, we kept the party going and had dinner at a little hole in the wall called Forno Gusto which served delicious pizza. We had a 3 toppings pizza which was just the right amount. I loved the creamy truffle one I chose. We also had a deep fried cheese stuffed zucchini flower but it was... MEH.

Literally like 4 high tables only


Ready made pizzas for takeaway I presume
Zucchini flowers are the ones on the far right

Our delicious made-to-order delight
Key learnings:
  • How do you know when there's going to be a strike? I don't know. Will someone please enlighten me? 
  • So a pub is like, a normal pub. But a gastro-pub is a pub that serves better quality food. The more you know!
  • The summer rain in Toulouse is very strange, it couldn't seem to make up its mind and kind of rained then stopped, then started again, repeat over and over. 
  • Maybe I'm a noob but I didn't expect French cinemas to show any movies in English but I guess they do!
  • The sun sets pretty late during the summer months so even though we drove back and reached the chateau close to 10pm, the sun was still up for most of the trip (which is great because the chateau area doesn't have any street lights... Or paved streets for that matter). 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!